Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Shane Hoffman-New Kid on the Block (5th feature)

Journalistic Reflection

A hot topic in the news this week was President Obamas lack of transparency thus far in his presidency. The top three news outlets (CNN, MSNBC, and Foxnews )each had some sort of article about it, but I chose Foxnews article to focus on this week. You can find the story here:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/03/10/obama-administration-struggling-live-transparency-pledges/

Although I agree that the President has made some mistakes and gone back on some campaign promises such as posting bills online 5 days before they are signed in to law, I have noticed that Foxnews has rarely reported something positive about the President. In fact, I've already seen a number of links to stories about the top candidates for the 2012 campaign. I could understand this perspective if this was say, next year, but it's only been less than two months since President Obama was inaugurated. Two months! Already, like with Bush in 00 and 04, people have given up on the president. They've thrown the key away and are now enjoying every moment of failure that comes his way.

This is not a Republican or Democratic problem. This is a media problem of utmost urgency. I don't believe FDR, Lincoln, or Washington could have lasted one day under the microscope that current politicians are under in todays society. With 24 hours news channels constantly competing against each other for time and ratings any story, no matter how outlandish, could make it on air. The Presidents mistakes are the juiciest, most coveted stories out there. As President Obama continues to make decisions that impact his campaign promises, Foxnews and all other media outlets will surely be the first to analyze his performance and mostly, his mistakes.

Phone interviews are so much easier than in person ones. I mean really, you don't have to walk out the newsroom door. You can prop your feet on the desk even and sip a cup of hot chocolate or tea (I'd just recommend you do this away from the equipment. It's VERY expensive). Phone interviews are easy. Predictable. Lazy. They get the job done and meet the bare minimum. The sound quality usually isn't great but it's also not terrible. It's just average. Even the best soundbites sound disconnected.

I say this all because when my editor told me about a story she wanted me to cover I immediately realized a small problem. It was in Kearney, MO, over two hours away. ME? I couldn't do that kind of story. My time is too precious. I don't have it in me.

(Of course both of these were major cop outs).

When I finally got my head around the opportunity it was too great of a chance to let go to waste. I was given the opportunity of interviewing the new Columbia superintendent who is soon to become an important celebrity like figure in the town.

So, I sucked it up and went. The drive was long. 2 hrs and 13 minutes to be exact. But the man was very nice, my convergence partner and I got great sound, and the experience was well worth the wait (and was sweetened so much more when we stopped for some famous KC barbecue on the way back).

Sure, I could have done the interview on the phone and still come out with a decent story, but I did not come to MU to settle for mediocrity. I've never wanted to settle for anything and as journalists and watchdogs of the public we can't afford to compromise our duty for convenience.

Not now, not ever.

Columbia Picks New Superintendent

The Columbia Public School district is about to get a new makeover. Come fall, the new superintendent will be former Kearney Superintendent Chris Belcher.

School board officials say in four years time Belcher improved test scores for Kearney Public Schools. Kearney recently won a Blue Ribbon Award for placing within the top 10 percent of the state.



Kearney School Board President Brian Thomas says Belcher has accomplished a great deal as superintendent.

“When he came on in 2005 he was very adamant about making us one of the top performing schools in the state of Missouri,” Thomas says. “And he was able to do that in four years time.”

Now, Belcher says he looks forward to bringing Kearney’s small town enthusiasm to his new position.

“It’s a big deal when the basketball team wins or when the PTA has a big carnival that the community comes out and supports it,” Belcher said. “And what I’ve been overwhelmingly impressed with is I still feel that type of issue at Columbia Public Schools.”

Belcher says Columbia’s superintendent position presents unique challenges, especially with financial issues. He’s coming into a school district that’s facing layoffs and budget cuts, but he says underneath it all Columbia schools are good.

Some of Belchers fellow employees aren’t ready to see him go. Carolyn Switzer, Belcher’s secretary and Kearney School Board secretary, says Belchers impact on the community will be greatly missed.

“Dr. Belcher has mended a lot of relationships between the community and the school district,” Switzer said. “It’s fun when you’re out in public and you see six and seven year olds that know who he is because he has been in their classrooms.”

As Belcher looks forward to his future in Columbia, he says he hopes to accomplish what his favorite blues musicians achieved by creating an environment where people learn from each other through new and exciting educational opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment